Formed 12 Feb 1820, 486 square miles
Parent counties: Shelby, Logan, Wood, Williams
Evolution of county from date of formation until it assumed its final form
1 Apr 1820: Erected and attached to Wood temporarily until organization
2 Feb 1824: Attached to Williams until organization of Putnam
3 Jan 1834: Organized
14 Feb 1848: Part attached to Allen. Part of Van Wert attached.
Putnam County's first county seat in 1834 was located in Kalida. In 1866 it was moved to Ottawa.
Federal Population schedules extant from 1830-1940. (1890 missing)
1850 Agricultural; 1850 Industry; 1850 Mortality; 1860 Agricultural; 1860 Industry; 1860 Mortality; 1880 Agricultural; 1880 Industry
Blanchard, Greensburg, Jackson, Jennings, Liberty, Monroe, Monterey, Ottawa, Palmer, Perry, Pleasant, Riley, Sugar Creek, Union, and Van Buren.
Archival District: Bowling Green State University, Center for Archival Collections, Jerome Library, Bowling Green Ohio.
Jana Broglin, OGSF