Formed 20 Jun 1835, 357 square miles.
Parent counties: Wood and Sandusky
Evolution of county from date of formation until it assumed its final form
20 Jun 1835: Erected and organized
14 Mar 1836: Part of Wood attached
6 Mar 1840: Diminished by formation of Ottawa
1 Apr 1850: Diminished by formation of Fulton. Part of Ottawa attached.
Lucas County has had two county seats. The first established in Toledo in 1835, then removed to Maumee from 1840-1852. Toledo regained the county seat in 1852.
Federal Population schedules extant from 1830-1940. (1890 missing) While half of Lucas County's census records were lost for 1820, the northern part, being located in Monroe, Michigan, did survive.
1850 Agricultural; 1850 Industry; 1850 Mortality; 1860 Agricultural, 1860 Mortality; 1880 Agricultural; 1880 Defective, Dependent, and Delinquent
Adams, Harding, Jerusalem, Monclova, Providence, Richfield, Oregon, Spencer, Springfield, Swanton, Sylvania, Washington, Waterville, and Waynesfield.
Swanton Township was originally called Wing Township.
Archival District: Bowling Green State University, Center for Archival Collections, Jerome Library, Bowling Green Ohio.
Lucas County, Toledo, Catholic Diocese Records 1796-2004 can be found at: FamilySearch.org http://familysearch.org/
Jana Broglin, OGSF