Formed 7 Sep 1801, 534 square miles
Parent counties: Jefferson and Washington
Evolution of county from date of formation until it assumed its final form
7 Sep 1801: Erected and organized
1 Mar 1810: Diminished by formation of Guernsey
1 Mar 1813: Part of Monroe attached temporarily until organized
1 Mar 1815: Diminished by organization of Monroe
The original county seat was located in Putney in 1802. In 1805 it was moved to St. Clairsville. Belmont County lost land to Guernsey and Monroe counties.
Federal Population schedules extant from 1820-1940. (1890 missing)
1820 Manufacturers; 1850 Agricultural; 1850 Industry; 1860 Agricultural; 1860 Mortality; 1870 Agricultural; 1870 Industry; 1880 Agricultural; 1880 Mortality
Colerain, Flushing, Goshen, Kirkwood, Mead, Pease, Pultney, Richland, Somerset, Smith, Union, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Wheeling, and York.
101 W. Main St., St. Clairsville, Ohio 43950-1225
Belmont County Genealogical Society
Jana Broglin, OGSF